Especially in Vancouver, web developers tend to grow on trees. It’s tough to walk into Yaletown without getting hit by one falling out of a tree or building. Suffice it to say, there is a lot of programmers in this town. So, how do you go about separating the good ones from the not so good ones? A lot of this often comes down to personality, but all the personality in the world isn’t going to help if the developer you choose to work with doesn’t have the skills you need to get your job done, on time and on budget. When you are dealing with a small developer, it’s vital that they have a well rounded set of skills to be able to help you get your message out there, in some manner of a presentable, visually appealing style. It takes more than simply a good eye with Photoshop or a particular flair for Dreamweaver. It requires depth on all levels of website development and deployment.
I’ve been helping people put sites onto the internet for more than 16 years now and through all of this, I have developed a strong skill set that enables me to handle all aspects of your site development and ongoing management of the site.
Some of the skills I offer include :
- Web site design – Well, let’s get through the obvious one first. The very first site I put together in 1994 was done entirely in Notepad, mainly because at the time, there were very few other options. The idea of a drag and drop web site was still a couple of years off. Thankfully, I’ve since moved onto somewhat more advanced methods (that being said, I still use a plain old text editor occasionally for little fixes) and I’m completely fluent in a number of technologies used to develop a web presence. I -usually- use WordPress for site construction, simply because it’s very well supported by the their community and offers a wide array of options and approaches to complete your site. I’ve done blog sites, E-Commerce sites (Magento, Interspire, WooCommerce, WP-E-Commerce), sites for photographers, all of which were very straight forward to put together and in many cases, WordPress allows for the site owner to easily make some adjustments on their own once the site is complete. But, I’m not limited to WordPress by any stretch, I’m quite comfortable working with Dreamweaver, Drupal, Joomla and I’ve developed a very strong skill set in taking old, dusty outdated web sites and giving them a complete overhaul into a more recent package and with a graphic rework as well. Basically, I can work with whatever is needed in order to reach your goal and I can offer sound advice regarding the direction you wish to take your project, both in the immediate future and further down the road.
- DNS management – From simple domain name registrations (at fair prices) to complicated DNS setups involving a number of machines. I also have great experience in integrating SSL protection to E-Commerce sites, providing a safe peace of mind for people purchasing your products through your site.
- Hosting – I can either handle the hosting through my own services, or we can work together to find a hosting package that works best for you and your project. I can provide full E-Commerce hosting, complete with SSL encryption for the highest level of security. Hosting is available on Canadian or US servers, if you have a preference.
- Email services – With 15 years experience in dealing with internet email systems, I can bring a wealth of knowledge and experience to the table. Whether it’s simply dealing with a few internet accounts via your web host, a fully managed service with full virus/spam filtering or Email marketing to your customer base, I possess the skills to make Email work for you, instead of the other way around.
- Graphic Design – One of the very first “loves” of mine that got me into computers in the first place was a deep background in graphic design. I have a great eye towards what works and what does not work, especially with regards to web sites and I have a great ability to work your design ideas into a working site. And if you are looking for something more, I work closely with a few people who specialize in nothing but design, who can help you to achieve the precise “look” you are interested in, from logo design to product packaging.
- Ongoing Maintenance – It’s great to have a new site in place, but, most, if not all web sites require some amount of ongoing maintenance, especially in these days of Social Media integration. From adding in a regular blog post to occasional page additions, product additions or new functionally, I’m quite happy to take care of these matters on your behalf, whether that work entails an hour a month or a few hours a week. Contact me to see what I can do for your website.
- Local Business, Worldwide Audience – I am a small, one person company who’s been providing the services listed above for more than 15 years now, with a long list of delighted clients. I tend to work with other small companies, often also 1 person efforts, but I am also available to work with larger companies in a contract capacity. My small business focus allows me to provide you with very detailed and specialized service that fits how YOU want things to work. I’m also quite lucky to work with a few non-profit organizations in the area and I provide special pricing for such organizations. I will usually quote work on an hourly basis as I feel this provides you with the best value for your dollar, paying for only what you need to get done over me taking some manner of a wild guess as to how long a project will take, however, I am also quite comfortable with budgetting based on an entire project as well. It’s up to you.